Shannon Hills Bible Chapel

Non Denominational, Fundamental and Friendly, New Testament Patterned Assembly
"And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers." Acts 2:42

Our History

Please take the time to read about our humble beginnings. About the narrow road traveled that has brought us to 2020. Then view the image gallery below, seeing our growth. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.


Shannon Hills Bible Chapel began in September 1940, after several fruitful Gospel meetings in tents, temporary tabernacles and homes throughout Greensboro. Evangelist Lester Wilson from Stratford, Ontario, Canada held Gospel meetings here with large numbers of individuals, receiving the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior.

In 1940, the Forest Avenue Baptist Church was purchased by a congregation that numbered about 30 people. It was renamed Forest Avenue Tabernacle, befitting the non-denominational position of the church. This newly formed church, was founded on the principles and practices of the New Testament churches. The Christians who are in fellowship here, gather simply to the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ alone. By 1942 our Sunday School, and the number of believers in fellowship, was growing rapidly. Mr. Wilson was now burdened about starting other similar assemblies in Burlington, Durham, Siler City, and Sanford.

Mr. H.G. Mackay, also from Canada, then serving the Lord in Winston-Salem, NC, was led of the Lord to come to Greensboro to help in the work. He was an outstanding Bible Teacher and Preacher, and under his leadership the work grew rapidly. He conducted a daily radio program from 1943 until 1984, preached several times weekly at the Forest Avenue Tabernacle and other assemblies being formed in this area; organized our Sunday School into classes; held special Gospel Meetings; and began a fruitful youth work. He remained active in the work here at Shannon Hills Bible Chapel for over 50 years, until he and his wife retired to the Pittsboro Christian Village in Pittsboro, NC.

In 1963, a five-acre tract of land was purchased on West Vandalia Road and a new, much larger building was erected in 1967 to accommodate a growing church. The name was changed to Shannon Hills Bible Chapel. Associated with Mr. Mackay, J. Eddie Schwartz of Memphis, Tennessee, came to Greensboro to help in the work in 1968 and remained until 1984. A period of good growth and an extension of programs for all ages took place during this time. In 1984, W. Larry Batts, who had labored for the Lord in Durham and Burlington, NC, came to Greensboro and remained as a very able teacher and preacher until 1994. Charles Crawford, up to this time an elder in the church, came into full-time ministry at the Chapel in 1985 and served in that capacity until 1989. He continues as an elder. In 1994, Mark Shelley, who had grown up attending the chapel and was then our Youth Director, was commended to full-time ministry and is serving in a very fruitful manner in this capacity and as an elder.

In 1972, the church acquired the property next door. The refurbished house serves as a home for missionaries on furlough, and for visiting speakers and special events. In 1989, a large multi-purpose building was erected. It includes a full-sized gymnasium, two large meeting rooms, and a large kitchen. It is well-equipped for many of our present programs and for future expansion, being ideally suited for special programs for our children and young people.

After 81 years of proving His Word to be true and sufficient in every aspect of our lives, we look forward to more years of God's faithfulness, and hopefully, our fruitfulness to Him and to His Word. We seek to be a friendly and fundamental church to all who come our way.

History Image Gallery

Website security

2002-2016 Shannon Hills Bible Chapel - All rights reserved